The History of R&T
In 1948, Hugh Cummings, III, recognized an opportunity for a new business. Armed with a donated chicken coop from his father-in-law, he began his very own textile business selling corduroy in Alamance County. Within 10 years, his small chicken coop beginnings had evolved into a booming textile business. In 1957, Thomas E. Hill joined Remnants & Textiles and the two gentlemen grew the operation to 36 retail stores, named The Remnant Shop, in South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida and North Carolina. At the time, most of the product offerings were piece goods used for clothing.
As the clothing industry evolved, eventually fewer and fewer people made their own clothes. Remnants and Textiles shifted their focus from dress goods to upholstery and drapery fabrics. With this transition came the close of the retail stores and a focus on their main location in Haw River, NC selling home decorative fabrics.
In 1991, Paula Atwater (daughter of Thomas Hill) and Hugh Cummings, IV (son of Hugh Cummings, III) took over leadership in the company. Under their direction, the company expanded its offerings beyond drapery and upholstery fabric by the bolt and into services for home decorating. Remnants & Textiles now offers on-site upholstery, custom sewing services and design consultations and installations. Paula's and Hugh's knack for assembling beautiful rooms became a highly sought after service for the company.